Friday, January 26, 2007

Whispers: A Devotion from 1Corinthians 4:16 & 1Corinthians 11:1 NKJV

Imitate Me Right

Imitation Crab, Imitation Mayo, or Imitation Cheese… How about a comedian that imitates; a replica of an antique car; or, a double of an actor in a movie?

Each one of the things I just listed is very deliberate and concise in the calculation of the characteristics of the original. Each manufacturing company and person has done their “homework”, researching and studying everything about the original so that they can very closely resemble and pass for the original item or person.

I’m sure if the “real” crab, mayo, actor or antique car could talk they would say how honored they are that they are being imitated. But, what if they are being imitated by someone for the wrong reasons? What if others are just being duped into believing they are another person for selfish, prideful, or fraudulent reasons?

Let me get to the point… If you call yourself a Christian then let me tell you what that means: The original meaning of “Christian” is little Christ, or imitators of Christ. So, if this is the meaning, shouldn’t our reasons for imitating Christ be sincere? Shouldn’t they last longer than just after Sunday Church Service? Shouldn’t we be studying the Man we call Lord? Shouldn’t we honor Jesus’ name by being as much like Him as we can, allowing the Holy Spirit within us to help us do so and be so?

Think about the next question and carefully consider it…

If you are a Christian can you say to someone else “follow me”, “imitate me”, or “be like me”?

If you can’t say that to someone else, don’t throw in the towel… don’t give up because it seems impossible. Just simply ask God to give you a new heart, a new mind, and a new desire to know Him better and closer today. Read about our Lord in the Bible, and find out how much He loves you and wants you to live in Him and He in you!

One day maybe you can utter the same words that the Apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians,

“Therefore I urge you, imitate me.” 1Corinthians 4:16; and, “Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.” 1Corinthians 11:1

No comments: