Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Whispers: A Devotion from Luke 6:40 & John 14:26 NKJV

Marathon-Ready Overnight?

I just started training for Camp Pendleton’s “Mud Run”. This is a 10k race over hills, down hills, through obstacles, sprayed down with water from the start and the last part is about a 50 foot mud pit!

If you’ve ever run a 10k race, you know that the run itself is difficult enough when you’re racing for your best time! But add everything else I described and you have more than a challenge to the race.

I haven’t been running much up until now. I have a treadmill and my first “good” workout was about a week ago. My time was less than desirable and I was sore for a few days afterwards (that was expected but not desirable).

I wish I could instantly be in shape after the first couple times I run and be ready for the 10k but I know that isn’t realistic! To run, and finish the race in June, I need to train, get in shape and discipline myself to eat (somewhat) right. Otherwise, I’ll either not finish the race, or if I do, I could get very sick!

The same is true of our walk as Christians: We look at someone that has been walking with the Lord for a handful of years or decades consistently, and we automatically want our relationship with the Lord to be just like theirs. We want our knowledge of the Bible to be “unrealistically” amazing so that we can spurt out scripture to people around us. We want to be able to run a marathon with little training and knowledge of how to run.

Here’s what the Bible says about this: A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher. – Luke 6:40 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. – John 14:26

Your relationship with Jesus is not a sprint, it’s not a 5k, nor is it a 10k, it is a marathon! And, we need to understand how to run the race with endurance, perseverance, strength, power, desire and knowledge. Don’t expect to have this overnight, it takes some pain, some discipline and it takes help, which you have in the Holy Spirit.

Today, I encourage you to train and not grow weary of where you are with the Lord. If you’ve stumbled, fallen or gone off the path then get back up and continue the run, even if you have to walk at times. Remember, God sent a Helper to those that put their trust in Jesus… you’re never in this race alone!

No comments: