Friday, November 17, 2006

Daily Devotions - 11.17.06, Matthew 11:28-30 NKJ

For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about REST!

I’m sure we all experience this toward the end of a long week, a long month, or a long year. This was a turbulent week; busy with work, kids and things that just “need” to get done, just like many of you. After-school activities, “emergency” jobs at work, deadlines, bills to pay, and I find myself physically and mentally… drained!

It’s a good thing we have a God that tells us to rest; it’s a commandment. Father knows best and we need to rest because He said so. I find it interesting that God spent four verses expounding on this commandment in Exodus 20, when He only spent a verse or two on each of the others.

It must be pretty important because He knows we’ll just keep going without stopping, and He knows that spending quiet time with Him will allow everything else to fall into place!

It’s important because if we spend time resting in God’s Word, prayer, meditating and praising Him, then we’ll grow in our faith through the realization of all that God is and is doing in our lives.

Taking this a step further, Jesus came that we may have rest every single day in Him, “for the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.” (Matt. 12:8)

Today, after a long week, if you feel tired and are longing for rest then I want to encourage you to make time to rest in the Lord, spending time with Him, meditating on His Word, and praising Him for Jesus said:

“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for you souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” – Matthew 11:28-30

No comments: