Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Whispers: A Devotion from 2Corinthians 9:15 NKJV

The Ultimate Gift

I was searching for a Valentine’s gift for my wife online and ran into this internet site called The Ultimate Gift Shoppe. The home page starts out with this quote, “Distinguished and unique gifts for those who have everything. Gifts for everyone for all occasions. Click here to enter.”

I wanted to see what these gifts were, so I clicked on the link and to my surprise I came to a blank page that said, “Coming Soon”. Nothing more!

There’s also a magazine called The Robb Report. In it you’ll find Lamborghini’s, private jets, mansions, jewelry, extravagant vacations, yachts, and even islands for sale. Talk about the ultimate gift! If the person that thinks he has everything doesn’t want to wait for the web site that says “Coming Soon”, then he can buy this magazine and shop away!

Let me ask you a question… are you satisfied with what you have? You may not be in a position to purchase an island or a personal jet, but how about another bracelet, pair of shoes, a watch, a car, or a house? The reason why I ask is because although we can accumulate wealth, prestige, toys, houses, beautiful jewelry, and even a nice little retirement, those things will never produce true joy in your life. Temporary happiness is attained, but not complete rest and joy!

Of course, you know what I’m getting at. None of this can be taken with you once you take your last breath here on earth, that’s a guarantee! You can’t even take the time you keep all to yourself (at least you think it’s all yours to keep away from others).

But there is one gift that you can freely receive and take with you for eternity and that is Jesus. He is the Ultimate Gift! Jesus paid with His own life, giving you and me the ability to receive the free gift of eternity in heaven.

I like the first web site I mentioned because the person that has already said “yes” to Jesus has some “Distinguished and unique gifts” waiting for them in heaven; the gift of Jesus is for “everyone for all occasions”; and, He is “Coming Soon”.

For those of you that know Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, take this as a reminder that we have the Ultimate Gift in Him. For those of you that don’t yet know Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, I hope that you’re feeling a desire to know Him and receive Him as such!

“Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!” – 2Corinthians 9:15

If you want to receive Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior please read: How to have eternal life, January 9, 2007 in this blog.

No comments: