Thursday, February 15, 2007

Whispers: A Devotion from 1Peter 5:5, 6 NKJV

The Right Posture

As a child my parents would tell me to sit up in my chair and not slouch. I’d also be told to not shuffle my feet when walking and to look at people in the eyes when speaking to them and not turn away.

Proper posture was to show interest and respect towards others. It shows that we care and it dismisses laziness because proper posture takes a conscious effort.

I was also taught to introduce myself properly to others and shake their hands firmly, speaking my full name. It was, again, my posture that spoke volumes about interest and placing others first.

Additionally, I was taught that it is important to go out of my way to welcome someone to our home, or thank someone for having us at their home.

It’s our tendency as people to be prideful, thinking of ourselves and not wanting to extend ourselves beyond what we want to do. We want others to automatically show interest towards us without effort. We want others to show respect to us without having to give it first. We want others to see us and greet us without having to move one step towards them.

Listen, God came to us and extended His complete being toward us giving us everything to show us how much He loves us. He extended His hand to tax-collectors, the poor, the widows, the prostitute, the thief, fishermen and even religious zealots.

His posture was humble and always had our interest in mind, never His own! Ultimately Jesus’ posture has forever been imprinted in the minds and hearts of man. Christ extended His pierced hands to all who will accept His invitation to be with Him in His house.

Do others see your humble, loving posture? I pray that today you go out of your way to walk towards someone without resistance; that you extend your hand and take hold of theirs with sincerity; and, you speak with God’s love in your heart towards them. May they see in your eyes that you care just as Jesus in His perfect posture on the cross cared then and cares now! I pray you have a right, humble posture towards others and God.

“…Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for “God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time,” – 1Peter 5:5, 6

No comments: